The Nominating Committee for the Association of Early Childhood Educators of Alberta (AECEA) is pleased to invite AECEA members and other interested individuals to submit a nomination form to serve on AECEA’s Board of Directors. Elected board members will serve a three year term to ensure ongoing succession.
Candidates must have a good understanding of AECEA and a strong desire to transform Alberta’s early childhood educator workforce into a recognized profession. AECEA’s vision is that well-qualified, well-compensated early childhood educators are respected as professionals, valued for their important work, and supported in providing high-quality child care for Alberta’s children and families. Board members work hard towards seeing this vision become reality.
AECEA provides board members with an opportunity to learn and gain experience in areas such as: leadership, public policy, finance, research, data collection and system planning. Opportunities to engage in policy decisions, board development and attend local, provincial and national meetings are also an added benefit.
What You Bring:
AECEA’s board members are expected to possess some of the following skills:
- Inherent leadership, interpersonal and analytical skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strategic planning, development and project implementation skills
- The ability to work collaboratively at a board, community and system level
- The ability to think at a systems level, while having some understanding of centre-based child care, out-of-school care, family day homes and preschools
- The ability to undertake, review or summarize research and document findings
- Understanding of how to advance a workforce into a profession
- Knowledge and skills in finance, public policy, research, communications, human resources, early years pedagogy, board governance or other expert fields
AECEA Board members will need to:
- Commit a minimum of 5-10 hours a month of preparation and meeting time
- Be available to attend face to face meetings 2-3 times per year. The face to face meetings may require travel to another city.
- Commit to, contribute to, and participate in monthly (online) Board and Committee meetings.
- Commit to completing Board and Committee work between meetings
- Fulfill all of the duties and responsibilities of being an AECEA board member, including:
- Determining the mission, purpose and strategies, policies and priorities
- Speak to and understand AECEA’s mandate document and 10-point plan, Qualified Educators, Quality Care
- Speak to and understand AECEA's position paper on legislative change, Getting It Right - Recommendations for Improving Alberta's Child Care Licensing Legislation
- Ensuring compliance with laws and regulations according to early learning and care
- Planning, monitoring and evaluating the work of the organization
- Financial oversight of organization’s resources
- Selecting, overseeing, monitoring and evaluating the organization’s staff members
While it is not a requirement to be on the board, voting members will be informed of nominees' membership status with AECEA.
AECEA seeks to balance the geographic representation of our Board to reflect the communities it serves, so would welcome Board members from all over the province.
AECEA supports equity, diversity, and inclusion, we welcome guidance from intercultural pedagogy and competencies experienced with the process of decolonization and Indigenous world views.
In order for a Nominee to be considered the application must include:
- a resume that demonstrates an awareness of and/or experience in early learning and care or specific knowledge which would support AECEA's vision and strategic direction, as well as evidence of Board governance knowledge, skills, experience, and abilities.
- an introductory letter that speaks to the nominee's commitment and support of AECEA
- a professional reference (professional reference's will be contacted in the first two weeks of August)
Nominees will be contacted by the AECEA Nominating Committee to conduct a phone interview in the first two weeks of August. Nominees will be considered at AECEA’s AGM to be held at the end of September 2020.
The application submission deadline is August 3, 2020.
Please submit your application using the following online form: