The Canada Recovery Caregiving Benefit (CRCB) gives income support to employed and self-employed individuals who are unable to work because they must care for their child under 12 years old or a family member who needs supervised care. This applies if their school, regular program or facility is closed or unavailable to them due to COVID-19, or because they're sick, self-isolating, or at risk of serious health complications due to COVID-19. The CRCB is administered by the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA).
If you're eligible for the CRCB, your household can receive $500 ($450 after taxes withheld) for each 1-week period.
If your situation continues past 1 week, you will need to apply again. You may apply up to a total of 26 weeks between September 27, 2020 and September 25, 2021.
To be eligible for the CRCB, you must meet all the following conditions for the 1-week period you are applying for:
- You are unable to work at least 50% of your scheduled work week because you are caring for a family member
- You are caring for your child under 12 years old or a family member who needs supervised care because they are at home for one of the following reasons:
- Their school, daycare, day program, or care facility is closed or unavailable to them due to COVID-19
- Their regular care services are unavailable due to COVID-19
- The person under your care is:
- sick with COVID-19 or has symptoms of COVID-19
- at risk of serious health complications if they get COVID-19, as advised by a medical professional
- self-isolating due to COVID-19
- You did not apply for or receive any of the following for the same period:
- Canada Recovery Benefit (CRB)
- Canada Recovery Sickness Benefit (CRSB)
- short-term disability benefits
- workers' compensation benefits
- Employment Insurance (EI) benefits
- Québec Parental Insurance Plan (QPIP) benefits
- You reside in Canada
- You were present in Canada
- You are at least 15 years old
- You have a valid Social Insurance Number (SIN)
- You earned at least $5,000 in 2019, 2020, or in the 12 months before the date you apply from any of the following sources:
- employment income (total or gross pay)
- net self-employment income (after deducting expenses)
- maternity and parental benefits from EI or similar QPIP benefits
- You are the only person in your household applying for the benefit for the week
- You are not receiving paid leave from your employer for the same period
You need all of the above to be eligible for the CRCB.
Apply online through your CRA My Account or by phone at 1-800-959-2019 or 1-800-959-2041
For more information, go here.