The Canada Recovery Sickness Benefit (CRSB) gives income support to employed and self-employed individuals who are unable to work because they're sick or need to self-isolate due to COVID-19, or have an underlying health condition that puts them at greater risk of getting COVID-19. The CRSB is administered by the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA).
If you're eligible for the CRSB, you can receive $500 ($450 after taxes withheld) for a 1-week period.
If your situation continues past 1 week, you will need to apply again. You may apply up to a total of 2 weeks between September 27, 2020 and September 25, 2021.
To be eligible for the CRSB, you must meet all the following conditions for the 1-week period you are applying for:
- You are unable to work at least 50% of your scheduled work week because you're self-isolating for one of the following reasons:
- You are sick with COVID-19 or may have COVID-19
- You are advised to self-isolate due to COVID-19
- You have an underlying health condition that puts you at greater risk of getting COVID-19.
- You did not apply for or receive any of the following for the same period:
- Canada Recovery Benefit (CRB)
- Canada Recovery Caregiving Benefit (CRCB)
- short-term disability benefits
- workers' compensation benefits
- Employment Insurance (EI) benefits
- Québec Parental Insurance Plan (QPIP) benefits
- You reside in Canada
- You were present in Canada
- You are at least 15 years old
- You have a valid Social Insurance Number (SIN)
- You earned at least $5,000 in 2019, 2020, or in the 12 months before the date you apply from any of the following sources:
- employment income (total or gross pay)
- net self-employment income (after deducting expenses)
- maternity and parental benefits from EI or similar QPIP benefits
- You are not receiving paid leave from your employer for the same period
You need all of the above to be eligible for the CRSB.
Apply online through your CRA My Account or by phone at 1-800-959-2019 or 1-800-959-2041
For more information, go here.