Position Title: Child Development Assistants, Workers and Supervisors
Reporting To: Site Lead
Location: Before & After School Care Program, Medicine Hat (11 sites)
Salary: Assistants: $15.00 per hour
Workers: $17.50 per hour
Supervisors: $19.00 per hour
* positions are eligible for Accreditation wage top up once program site has achieved accreditation status
Status: Part Time (6:30 to 6:45 am – morning bell and afternoon bell – 6:15 to 6:30 pm)
The YMCA of Medicine Hat can trace back its roots more than 50 years. Currently, the YMCA of Medicine Hat serves over 5000 people in Medicine Hat and surrounding communities. With a staff complement more than 180 full and part-time people, combined with more than 100 volunteers and an operating budget of $6 million, the YMCA of Medicine Hat serves over 7000 annual members and participants through its two Health Fitness and Recreation Branches (Downtown and South Ridge), as well as the YMCA Employment Centre (Medicine Hat & Brooks), YMCA Camp Elkwater and 13 licensed YMCA Child Care programs.
At the YMCA of Medicine Hat, we strive to ensure our employees are a good fit based on their strengths, interests, and future goals. The successful candidate will have the following:
- Child Development Certificate (Assistant, Worker or Supervisor)
- Current First Aid and CPR
- Clear Police Information Check including Vulnerable Sector Check
- Clear Child Welfare Check
- Food Safe is an asset
- 3 Professional References
- Experience providing child care in a licensed and accredited facility is preferred
- Experience working in out-of-school child care is an asset
Knowledge & Skills
- Knowledge and understanding of Alberta Child Care Act and Regulations as they pertain to out-of-school care
- Knowledge and understanding of Alberta Child Care Accreditation standards and processes
- Knowledge of healthy childhood development
- Knowledge of the confidentiality required for the protection of the children and parents.
- Ability to prepare neat, accurate written work by established deadlines
- Skilled communication and observation techniques
- Ability to plan, organize and implement daily programming.
- Ability to work well with others
- Ability to understand and implement daily routines.
- Desire and ability to interact and play with children
- Familiarity with the YMCA’s Get Active program is an asset
- Knowledge of physical literacy is an asset
What does this role look like at the YMCA of Medicine Hat?
Under the supervision of each Site Director, Child Development Assistants, Workers and Supervisor oversee the daily planning and implementation of the YMCA’s A Place to Connect curriculum.
Each position will be assigned to work at one primary location, providing relief at other sites only when operationally necessary due to licensing regulations.
- Preparing and implementing a monthly programming plan based on the interests of the children participating in the program that aligns with the YMCA A Place to Connect curriculum for out-of-school care
- Documenting programming as required by the curriculum
- Ensuring all program planning is age appropriate and develops the physical, emotional, social, creative and intellectual skills of the children.
- Ensuring the health and safety of children in the program at all times
- Ensuring compliance with all applicable regulations including YMCA policies and procedures, AHS health regulations, child care licensing regulations, accreditation standards, etc.
- Ensuring the YMCA’s Child Protection Policy and Procedures are followed at all times
- Ensuring communication with parents is ongoing and strengths-based
- Program area set up, take down and cleaning
- Preparing and serving snacks (in applicable programs only)
- Being familiar with each child’s health status, including allergies and emergency medications. This includes knowing where the medications are stored, and how to administer them if necessary.
- Responsible to ensure safety checklists are completed for the program areas, equipment, toys, to ensure they are safe, in good repair and hygienically maintained.
- Leading outdoor play time, including offering Get Active program activites
- Participation in monthly staff meetings