It is common for people to struggle and experience ambivalence when considering making a change or when others may be expecting them to make one. When those working in helping roles encounter this ambivalence in their clients, it is often interpreted as resistance and they may feel unable to respond in an effective way. By exploring the framework and strategies of Motivational Interviewing, this workshop will provide new ways to facilitate the change process in the people they work with. Motivational Interviewing is a method for helping people find their internal motivation for finding solutions to their problems. Participants will learn strategies that start from a place of empathy and draw on the client’s personal motivation to create their own goals for change.
Some of the Topics Included
- Motivational Interviewing Principles
- Understanding your Client’s Motivation
- Listening to your Client
- Foundational Skills: OARS (Open Questions, Affirming, Reflecting, Summarizing)
- Recognizing and Supporting Change Talk
- Four Processes of MI (Engaging, Focusing, Evoking, and Planning)
- Common Traps to Avoid
- Reflective Listening
- Roadblocks to Listening
- Approaching Ambivalence and Resistance
- When to use Motivational Interviewing
- Readiness to Change
This is an introductory-intermediate level workshop for social service and health care professionals, social workers, school personnel, and anyone supporting people.
Method of Delivery
Presentation, video, experiential practice, case study exercises, personal reflection, and small group discussions.
At the end of this workshop, participants should be able to:
- Describe the principles of Motivational Interviewing
- Recognize ambivalence and resistance
- Identify change talk in clients
- Identify strategies that support a client’s own motivation
Date & Time:
September 26, 2022 12:00 p.m. - 1:00 p.m. MST
For more information and to register, go here.
AECEA Professional and Student members get 15% off public workshops through the Crisis and Trauma Resource Institute (CTRI), log in to your account for the discount code!