Full Time (35 hours per week)
Job ID: 21-012NCFRC
Are you looking to make a difference in your community?
Join the Norwood team and start making a difference today!
Norwood Child and Family Resource Centre is an Edmonton based non-profit organization that has been supporting children and families since 1963, with a vision of Healthy Children, Healthy Families, Healthy Communities. Our programs and services are designed to strengthen and enrich families with children birth – 6 years old. Early childhood experiences are aimed at fostering optimal child development and healthy parent-child attachment. Parent education opportunities are created to support building the capacity of families. Family support services are provided to support families as the child’s first and most important teacher. Information and referral are a key practice in supporting families to grow and learn within their own communities. Programs are delivered using a holistic approach to support the social, emotional, intellectual, language, physical and creative needs of children and families in the community. For more information, visit https://www.norwoodcentre.com.
Norwood provides the following:
- Great benefits plan
- 5 weeks of paid time off per year (1 week at Spring Break, 2 weeks at Christmas and 2 weeks’ vacation)
- 12 sick/personal leave days per year
- Service recognition and employee awards
- 2 staff fun/appreciation days per year
- Strong focus on employee wellness and work-life balance
- Supportive of ongoing professional development
- A compassionate team environment
The Early Childhood Family Educator will develop, promote and implement family education, early learning, literacy groups and workshops. The Early Childhood Family Educator will support children and families in group settings and home visits both in person and virtually. The Early Childhood Family Educator will be responsible for providing referrals and information to participants regarding resources in the community.
This position requires a flexible work schedule that includes evenings and weekends to meet the needs of the families. COVID-19 vaccinations are mandatory for all Norwood staff, students and contractors.
Norwood staff are guided by the following Team Charter: (SPIRIT)
- Support – We utilize one another’s strengths to take on challenges and opportunities using positive communication, collaboration, and compassion.
- Passion – We have the energy, attitude, and enthusiasm to be fully committed and engaged in our work with each other.
- Integrity – We are honest, trustworthy, transparent, and accountable with each other.
- Respect – We accept others without judgment and recognize that every individual is a person of value.
- Inclusivity – We celebrate diversity and welcome people of all abilities, backgrounds, cultures, and perspectives.
- Team – We are all one group working towards improved outcomes for children and families.
If you share our values and support our mission and vision please consider joining our team.
Reporting to the Family Education Manager, the Early Childhood Family Educator is responsible for the following:
- Planning, organizing and/or facilitating family education and family/child groups and services that reflect the needs and interests of the participants
- Providing support to children and families through regular home visits
- Providing strategies to participants that support healthy child development and role modeling for parents related to appropriate play and engagement activities
- Supporting the parent/caregiver as the child’s first and most important teacher and focusing on their strengths and capabilities
- Maintaining up-to-date knowledge of community resources to provide referral information to participants
- Compiling and entering necessary data and documentation into Agency and collaborative data systems while maintaining accurate, timely and complete electronic and paper files
- Collaborating with Agency team members and community partners to provide optimal programs and services
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- Degree or diploma in Human Services or equivalent
- Strong knowledge of group curriculum development and group facilitation
- Strong knowledge of early child development, parenting skills, and working with families
- Proficient in Microsoft office and database systems
- Valid driver’s license and access to a reliable vehicle
- A current Childcare First Aid Certificate
- Criminal Record Check and Child Welfare Intervention Record Check (findings will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis)
The following qualifications are considered an asset:
- Early Childhood Education diploma
- Training in parent education such as Triple P, Kids Have Stress Too, Nobody’s Perfect etc.
- Experience in home visitation
- Experience working with individuals from diverse cultural and socio-economic backgrounds
- Experience in group facilitation/adult education
The starting hourly range for this role is $25.48-$28.67/hour ($46,373.60-$52,179.40 per year) based on a 35-hour week.
Norwood Child and Family Resource Centre values diversity and welcomes applications from First Nation, Inuit, Métis, New Canadian, racialized, differently abled and LGBTQ2S communities.
To apply for this opportunity, please submit your résumé and cover letter to: email@example.com. Please state in the cover letter how you align with the Norwood Team Charter and how you heard about the position. Please include Early Childhood Family Educator and Job ID Number 21-012NCFRC in the Subject Line of the email.
Closing Deadline: Until Suitable Candidate is Found
Please note: Due to COVID-19, interviews may be conducted virtually using the Zoom video software platform.