At some point in our lives we all have stressful times. We can be impacted by such things as financial pressures, unexpected difficulties, unemployment, or stressful situations such as the current outbreak of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19).
Alberta has many mental health supports available that can be accessed online through this crisis, see below for some options:
- Crisis Services Canada
- Call 1 (833) 456-4566, available 24/7
- Text ‘Start’ to 45645, available 4pm-midnight ET
- Mental Health Help Line (Alberta Wide)
- 1 (877) 303-2642
- Distress Lines (operated by regional Canadian Mental Health Association branches)
- Text4Hope is a free, daily text service that helps people identify and adjust the negative thoughts, feelings and behaviours a pandemic might be expected to provoke. Text COVID19HOPE to 393939 to subscribe.
- Healthy Together is a guide to family and home life during COVID-19
- Mental Wellness Moment with Dr. Nicholas Mitchell shows videos on topics such as how to deal with stress and talking to kids about COVID-19
- Credit Counseling Society - If you're experiencing financial stress or need some financial tips and resources, speak with a certified credit counsellor over the phone
- The Canadian Mental Health Association has a blog with a variety of text resources for mental health
- To find available provincial mental health supports by region, go here
Many mental health resources are also available by city, available options can be found by searching for your city + mental health supports.