Imagine Institute facilitators are certified by the Crisis Prevention Institute (CPI) to provide the Nonviolent Crisis Intervention (NCI) Training. The first day will emphasize early intervention and non-physical methods for preventing or managing disruptive behaviour. CPI’s disengagement skills are also demonstrated and practiced in this seminar to prepare staff to safely remove themselves from and others from a dangerous situation. The second day of training expands on crisis intervention methods to include the study and practice of holding skills. These skills are taught to be used as a last resort when an individual becomes an immediate danger to self or others. Certification is valid for two years following successful completion of training.
You will Learn:
- How to identify behaviours that could lead to a crisis.
- How to most effectively respond to each behaviour to prevent the situation from escalating.
- How to use verbal and non-verbal techniques to defuse hostile behaviour and resolve a crisis before it can become violent.
- How to cope with your own fear and anxiety.
- How to assess risk levels and consider the issues that impact decision making.
- How to use CPI’s disengagement skills to avoid injury if behaviour becomes physical.
- When it is appropriate to physically intervene.
- How to assess the physical and psychological well-being of those involved in a crisis.
- How to maintain rapport with the individual in crisis.
- Key steps for debriefing after a crisis.
- How to promote Care, Welfare, Safety, and Security SM
Imagine Institute for Learning
101-13025 St. Albert Trail
Date & Time:
June 8-9, 2020 9:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m.
For more information and to register, go here.
Professional and Student members of AECEA are eligible for up to 15% off all public Imagine Institute workshops, contact the AECEA office if you do not have your discount code.