Children express themselves, learn about their world, and feel most at ease when playing. This interactive workshop focuses on how to use play therapy strategies to help children and youth positively cope and work through stressful life experiences. Participants will become familiar with Play Therapy theory, clinical guiding principles, and various directive and non-directive creative interventions to use with a wide age range of children and youth. From an experiential lens, this training explores how to apply playful strategies to support children and youth on their path to healing. Get ready to play!
*Participants will create a small play-based toolkit to use during the training, and to take home!
Some of the Topics Reviewed
- Why does Play Therapy Work?
- Attachment, Neuroscience, Family Systems
- Children’s Growing Brains: Cognitive and Development Stages
- Inner Resiliency – Child-Centered Play Therapy
- Using Directive vs. Non-directive Approaches with Children and Youth
- How Play can Help Overcome Trauma
- Play-based Cognitive and Behavioural Therapy Strategies
- Creative Interventions for Emotional Awareness and Self-Reflection
- Art-Based Therapy
- Helping Children and Youth Develop Self-Regulation
- The Impact of Family – How Family Play Therapy Helps
- Building the Blocks of Attachment
- Somatic Approaches and Body-based Exercises
- Skills for using a Sand Tray
- Tools to use Puppetry
- Develop Story-telling Skills
Please note: This workshop does not certify participants as a “Play Therapist” – the aim of the workshop is to provide practical strategies for a wide range of helpers who support children.
This is an introductory-intermediate level workshop intended for school personnel, social service and health care professionals, counsellors, social workers, parents, and anyone wanting to gain increased capacity in helping children and youth.
Sandman Hotel Edmonton West
17635 Stony Plain Rd
Edmonton AB T5S 1E3
Date & Time:
November 4-5, 2019 9:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m.
For more information and to register, go here.
**AECEA Professional and Student Members are eligible for a 15% discount on all CTRI and ACHIEVE Centre public workshops, please contact the AECEA office if you have not received the discount code**