The Glendale Community Preschool (GCP) is seeking a full-time Lead Teacher. GCP is a Licensed, non-profit, parent-involved program that has been operating since 1984. The program is play-based and offers a blend of both child directed and teacher directed activities. We believe our Preschool should nourish the physical, intellectual, emotional, and social growth of the children through an emphasis on play and learning by discovery. We provide the facilities, equipment, and support for the teacher to allow them to create a curriculum that encourages fine and gross motor development as well as social and emotional development.
The Teacher will be responsible to develop and implement a program. The Teacher is responsible for set-up and delivery of daily lesson plans while providing a stimulating, safe and developmentally appropriate educational environment for children aged 2 ½ to 4 years of age. They are required to have a good command of Provincial licensing.
The preschool operates classes 5 days a week September through June. We offer both 3 year-old and a 4 year-old programs in the morning and afternoon.
Salary will be based on level of education, experience & level of childcare certification.
- The Teacher will adhere to GCP policies and procedures.
- Work with the Preschool Coordinator.
- Develop programming that encourages free play, has elements of numeracy and literacy as well as cultural awareness, fine motor, and physical literacy.
- Develop and implement lesson plans that nurture and stimulate appropriate development.
- Develop monthly and other regular communication with parents and members of the preschool community in the form of a monthly newsletter, monthly calendar & bulletin boards.
- Treat all children in developmentally appropriate ways, without bias.
- Set up and prepare materials for activities; supervise activities.
- Set up creative and themed classroom décor each month, showcasing artwork by the children.
- Ensure there are sufficient supplies ordered.
- Keeps the classroom neat and orderly (i.e. cleaning, garbage removal, recycling, etc.).
- Responsible for securing health, hygiene, safety and overall well-being of children at all times.
- Maintain records and attendance logs.
- Maintains confidentiality of records and information of children and families.
- Responsible for understanding & abiding by childcare licensing regulations.
Education & Qualifications
A relevant degree or certificate in Early Childhood Education which may include but is not limited to a Bachelor of Education in Early Childhood Education, Bachelor of Child Studies, Child Studies Degree, Diploma in Early Childhood Education.
- Alberta Child Care Staff Certification as a Child Development Supervisor (formerly level 3), a Child Development Worker (formerly level 2) or a Child Development Staff (formerly level 1).
- Current First Aid, Adult and Child CPR certification.
- Criminal record check is required.
- Minimum two years’ experience working with preschool age children (2.5 to 5-year old’s) is preferred. New graduates will also be considered.
- Experience in developing curriculum and program plans to ensure a well-managed classroom and positive environment for children
- Observe, see, hear and respond to children’s needs, emergencies and conflicts that occur in the
classroom, in the facility or on the grounds.
- Lift 30 lbs. from the floor to a waist-high table when necessary.
- Crouch to a child’s height, maintain eye contact at the child’s level, sit on the floor and move
actively in the gymnasium & outside during structured play time.
Personal Qualities and Talents
- A demonstrated strength in creative arts, music, physical education, or other skill that enhances the delivery of programming.
- A demonstrated leader both inside and outside of the classroom.
- Strong ability to multi-task, laugh, and create a positive work environment.
- Strong problem-solving and diplomacy skills; comfortable dealing with sensitive situations
Inquiries & Resumes can be submitted to the Glendale Community Preschool Coordinator at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Glendale Community Preschool
2405 Glenmount Dr SW Calgary AB, T3E 4C1