These awards honor outstanding and innovative early childhood educators for their leadership, exemplary early childhood education practices, and their commitment to help build the foundation children need to make the best possible start in life.
Who is eligible?
- Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada;
- Educators who have successfully completed training in early childhood education and care;
- Candidates who have provided direct education and care to young children at least 15 hours per week in a licensed childcare centre for the past three years.
Here is the full list of eligibility criteria
What do recipients receive?
Recipients of the award receive the following:
- Cash awards worth up to $5,000
- A certificate from the Prime Minister
- Promotion of their best practices in early education and care
- National recognition for their contribution to excellence in education in Canada
How do I nominate an early childhood educator?
Nominators need to submit a detailed nomination package that includes:
- A nomination text that shows how the educator meets the five selection criteria
- Three letters of support from people who know and support the educator
- Supporting documentation that confirms the educator's eligibility
Early childhood educators are eligible for two awards:
- The national Certificate of Excellence
- Carries a cash prize of up to $5,000.
- Awards are shared equally between the recipients and their centres.
- Recipients are traditionally invited to Ottawa to receive their award from the Prime Minister or his designate.
- The regional Certificate of Achievement
- Carries a cash prize of up to $1,000.
- Awards are given solely to the recipients.
- Recipients are traditionally honoured locally at community events and receive their award from their Member of Parliament or local leader, as appropriate.
All recipient educators receive a certificate and a letter of congratulations from the Prime Minister. Each recipient's centre also receives a certificate.
Each year, the Prime Minister's Awards for Excellence in Early Childhood Education awards up to 5 Certificates of Excellence and up to 10 Certificates of Achievement.
For further information, go here.