AECEA represents early childhood educators (ECEs) who work with children in a range of licensed and regulated settings, including day care centres, preschools, out-of-school care programs and family day homes. Individuals who support the work of early childhood educators are also eligible for membership; these members include post-secondary faculty and students in the early childhood education field.
Organizations that support AECEA’s goals are eligible for membership as non-voting associates.
AECEA takes the position that allowing members from all facets of child care provides opportunities for education and information-sharing. Collaboration across delivery systems is a first step toward the system-wide change that must take place to professionalize Alberta’s early learning and child care (ELCC) workforce.
AECEA offers three membership categories:
- Professional members are Alberta-certified ECEs and post-secondary educators who work in the field of early learning and child care. This category also includes staff and contractors who work for, or in support of, licensed child care programs and approved family day home agencies.
- Student members are enrolled in post-secondary early learning and child care programs in Alberta. Students in leadership, management, human resources, and other programs related to early learning and child care are also eligible for AECEA membership.
- Associate members are agencies or groups that support AECEA’s goals.
Professional members and student members have voting rights at AECEA’s general meetings. Associate members are welcome to attend AECEA meetings, but cannot vote.
Membership in AECEA is free for full-time students enrolled in publicly funded post-secondary ECE programs in Alberta. AECEA’s hope is that engaging students in the association’s work will ensure these individuals’ engagement and support when they start their careers as ECEs.
Part-time students pay a reduced membership fee of $50 per year.
Annual fees for associate members are $125.
Annual fees for professional members are $125.
Professional members whose employers participate in AECEA’s group health plan pay $95 toward their annual fees.
Professional & Student Member Benefits
AECEA’s professional and student members are part of the association’s strong, united voice on legislation, policy, funding, training, professional learning and other issues that affect ECEs.
AECEA’s professional and student members enjoy the following benefits:
- the opportunity to contribute to AECEA’s advocacy for accessible, affordable, high-quality child care delivered by a respected, well-compensated professional ELCC workforce
- opportunities for personal and professional growth through networking with colleagues and leaders in the field, including access to a members-only Facebook site
- a monthly e-newsletter, Networking News, that includes updates on AECEA’s activities, information about professional learning opportunities and events, links to the latest research and inspirational stories from the field
- discounts on AECEA-sponsored workshops and events (including the popular annual conference, which is usually sold out)
- reduced fees for selected educational and professional learning offerings sponsored by AECEA’s partners
- access to a group health benefits plan (available to professional and student members whose employers are AECEA associate members)
- reduced membership fees for professional members whose employers participate in AECEA’s group health benefits plan
- AECEA’s support and organizational backing to empower personal advocacy for the recognition of ECEs as well-qualified, well-compensated professionals
- opportunities to develop leadership skills and make a difference by getting involved in the association
- free affiliate membership in the Canadian Child Care Federation (CCCF), which is a cost saving of $65
- CCCF affiliate membership includes discounts on books and resources, weekly email updates and access to the federation’s members-only quarterly journal
- 15% off Early Childhood Development Support Services workshops
- 15% off personal tax returns through UFile
- 15% off public workshops through the Crisis and Trauma Resource Institute (CTRI) and the ACHIEVE Centre for Leadership and Workplace Performance
- Up to 40% off home and auto insurance through The Co-Operators
Associate Member Benefits
AECEA’s associate members enjoy the following benefits:
- free affiliate membership in the CCCF, which is a cost saving of $90
- access to a number of workforce and workplace related benefits and discounts, including the following:
- a comprehensive group health benefit plan that offers life and disability insurance, coverage for prescription drugs, dental and vision care, and medical coverage for travellers
- a 20% discount on TimeSavr, a web-based software which is specifically designed to help child care professionals and organizations manage staffing, attendance, payments, and other administrative tasks
- access to Foster Park Brokers commercial insurance, which is tailored to the ELCC industry
- 15% off on-site workshops through Early Childhood Development Support Services
- $25 off T2 tax filing through UFile
- credits toward meeting the requirements for child care program accreditation
- membership in AECEA helps child care programs comply with Accreditation Standard 5, which requires that programs “collaborate with community organizations and services to respond to the needs of children and families they serve.”
To join AECEA as a Professional or Student member, go here.
To join AECEA as an Associate member, go here.