The Nominating Committee for the Association of Early Childhood Educators of Alberta (AECEA) invites AECEA members and other interested individuals to submit a nomination form to serve on AECEA’s Board of Directors. Elected board members will serve a one, two, or three-year term to ensure ongoing succession. For 2021, there is one one-year term, one two-year term, and three three-year terms available.
Candidates must have a good understanding of AECEA’s work and a strong desire to transform Alberta’s early childhood educator workforce into a recognized profession. AECEA’s vision is that well-qualified, well-compensated early childhood educators are respected as professionals, valued for their important work, and supported in providing high-quality child care for Alberta’s children and families. Board members work alongside early childhood educators and community partners towards seeing this vision become reality.
AECEA provides board members with an opportunity to learn and share experiences in areas such as leadership, public policy, finance, research, data collection and system planning. Opportunities to engage in policy decisions, board development and attend local, provincial and national meetings are also an added benefit.
What You Bring:
AECEA’s Board members are expected to possess some of the following skills:
- inherent leadership, interpersonal and analytical skills
- strong verbal and written communication skills
- strategic planning, development and project implementation skills
ability to work collaboratively at a board, community and system level
- ability to think at a systems level, while having some understanding of centre-based child care, out-of-school care, family day homes and preschools
- ability to undertake, review or summarize research and document findings
- understanding of how to advance a workforce into a profession
- knowledge and skills in finance, public policy, research, communications, human resources, early years pedagogy, board governance or other expert fields
AECEA Board members will need to:
- commit a minimum of 10-15 hours per month of preparation and meeting time
- be available to attend face-to-face meetings 2-3 times per year (face-to-face meetings may require travel to another city).
- commit to, contribute to and participate in monthly online board and committee meetings.
- commit to completing board and committee work between meetings
- fulfill all duties and responsibilities of being an AECEA Board member, including:
- developing the mission, purpose and strategies, policies and priorities
- speak to and understand the following documents:
- AECEA’s mandate document and 10-point plan, Qualified Educators, Quality Care
- AECEA's position paper on legislative change, Getting It Right - Recommendations for Improving Alberta's Child Care Licensing Legislation
- AECEA's proposal for how to use the federal workforce dollars, Early Learning and Child Care Workforce Initiatives
- ensuring compliance with laws and regulations related to nonprofit organizations in Alberta
- planning, monitoring and evaluating the work of the organization
- financial oversight of organization’s resources
- selecting, overseeing, monitoring and evaluating the organization’s staff members
While AECEA membership is not a requirement to be on the Board, voting members will be informed of nominees' membership status with AECEA.
AECEA seeks to balance the geographic representation of the Board to reflect the communities it serves, so would welcome Board members from all over the province.
AECEA supports equity, diversity, and inclusion. We welcome guidance from intercultural pedagogy and competencies experienced with the process of decolonization and Indigenous world views.
For a Nominee to be considered the application must include:
- a CV or resume that demonstrates an awareness of and/or experience in early learning and care or specific knowledge which would support AECEA's vision and strategic direction, as well as evidence of Board governance knowledge, skills, experience, and abilities.
- an introductory letter that speaks to the nominee's commitment and support of AECEA
- one (1) professional reference (your professional reference will be contacted in the first two weeks of August)
Please note, nominee resumes, introductory letter and information submitted with the application form will be shared with AECEA’s members to assist in their decision making. Information shared will have all contact information removed prior to sharing.
Nominees will be contacted by the AECEA Nominating Committee in the first two weeks of August to discuss their interest in AECEA.
Nominations to the AECEA Board will be presented electronically to the AECEA membership for their consideration 21 days prior to the AECEA AGM, to be held in late September, and will be voted on by the AECEA membership at that time.
All applications must be submitted via our online form at https://aecea.ca/webform/board-nomination. The deadline to send nominations is 11:59 PM on August 3, 2021.
If you have any questions regarding the application process, please contact email@example.com.